Michael Richard Pence is the Vice President.
History prior to Trump administration
- Born June 7, 1959, Columbus, Indiana to Nancy and Edward pence, a US army veteran who operated a series of gas stations. biography.com
- Volunteers for the Bartholomew County Democratic Party as a student at Columbus North High School. biography.com
- Attends Catholic schools CBN News
- 1978 "I gave my life to Jesus Christ and that's changed everything." cbn.com
- 1981 Receives B.A. in History from Hannover College biography.com
- 1985 Marries Karen Batten. They have three adult kids: Michael, Charlotte, and Audrey.
- 1986 Receives J.D. from Indiana University School of Law biography.com
- 1991 Writes an essay, "Confessions of a Negative Campaigner," and vows to preach a positive message from then on. biography.com
- 1991–1993 Serves as president of the Indiana Policy Review Foundation bio.
- Describes himself as "a Christian, a conservative, and a Republican, in that order". washingtonpost.com
- grew up a democrat, idolizing John F. Kennedy. "It may be that I grew up in a big Irish Catholic family like he did. Maybe it was that my grandparents were so proud of the first Irish Catholic president." (CBN News)
- "During two failed runs for Congress, Pence developed a passion for broadcast radio that turned into his own talk radio show that was eventually syndicated statewide.
"He described his show as "Rush Limbaugh on decaf" and one of the "most formative experiences of his life." (CBN News)
- 2001–2013 Serves in the U.S. House of Representatives.
- 2001 Opposes President George W. Bush's No Child Left Behind policy biography.com
- 2002 Opposes Medicare prescription drug expansion. biography.com
- 2002 Gives a speech denying the existence of evolution. forbes.com
- 2005 Pence named head of the Republican Study Committee. biography.com
- 2006 Runs for minority leader in house against John Boehner, losing 168-27 washingtonpost.com
- 2008 Elected to House GOP's No. 3 spot, Republican Conference chair, and put in charge of shaping the party's messaging. washingtonpost.com
- 2013 Pence has his congressional papers, which are housed at Indiana University in Bloomington, sealed. According to the donor agreement, the public is forbidden from seeing his papers from the 12 years he served in Congress until either December 5, 2022, or the death of the donor, whichever is later. biography.com
- 2013–2017 Serves as Governor of Indiana washingtonpost.com
- 2015.03.31 Pence defends the Religious Freedom Bill in an op-ed column. wsj.com
- 2016.04.26 Endorses Ted Cruz for president washingtonpost.com
- 2016.03.24 Pence signs into law one of the nation's strictest abortion laws, banning abortions when a fetus has a disability. nytimes.com
- 2016.04.26 Pence signs religious freedom bill despite days of pressure from opponents over its discriminatory nature. A week later he signs an amendment saying it's not okay to use the law to discriminate against gay people. indystar.com
- 2016 Faces a competitive reelection bid that he drops when he accepts Trump's offer to become his Vice President washingtonpost.com
|1990||Pence uses campaign funds to pay for golf tournament fees, his credit card bills and a mortgage on his new house. nydailynews.com|
|1999||Mike Pence argues in an op-ed that the Disney movie Mulan is liberal propaganda created to convince women to join the military in order to weaken it. buzzfeed.com|
|2000||Mike Pence writes an op-ed on his congressional website where he claims, "smoking doesn't kill." motherjones.com|
|2000||Pence writes on his campaign website that government funding into HIV Prevention should be blocked and put into funding Gay Conversion Therapy. pinknews.co.uk|
|2004.05.14||Pence tries to create a constitutional amendment which declares that marriage in the U.S. shall consist only of the union of a man and a woman. congress.gov (See also LGBTQIA)|
|2009.04.02||Pence sponsors a law that attempts to overwrite the 14th amendment. theindychannel.com|
|2009.05.05||Pence refuses to say whether or not he believes in evolution. youtube.com|
|2011||Pence cuts funding to close free clinics during HIV outbreak. chicagotribune.com|
|2013.05.18||Pence stops a Pakistani company from opening a $1.8 billion fertilizer factory in Indiana which would have created over 3900 jobs. reuters.com|
|2013.07.09||Pence signs a bill that would make it a felony for same-sex couples to apply for a marriage license. yahoo.com (See also LGBTQIA)|
|2014.05.15||Pence writes a letter to the Department of Justice saying he will refuse to comply with new rules aimed at reducing the rate of rape. indianalawblog.com|
|2015.01.26||Pence attempts to start a state run news service. indystar.com|
|2015.03.26||Pence signs a bill making it legal for businesses to discriminate and refuse service on the basis of "religious freedom." motherjones.com (See also LGBTQIA)|
|2015.12.08||Governor Mike Pence: Calls to ban Muslims from entering the U.S. are offensive and unconstitutional. twitter.com (See also Immigration, Domestic Policy, Muslims, Muslim Immigration Ban)|
|2016.02.15||Governor Mike Pence: "As governor, I was profoundly disappointed to learn that Carrier Corporation and United Technologies would relocate jobs and operations to Mexico, costing hard-working Hoosiers more than 2,100 jobs." indystar.com (See also Carrier Corporation Jobs Deal)|
|2016.03.21||Pence signs the toughest drug laws in the country, re-instituting minimum prison terms and changing the definition of a drug dealer. nwitimes.com|
|2016.07.15||Trump selects Mike Pence as his running mate. nytimes.com (See also 2016 Election)|
|2016.07.20||Pence accepts the nomination for Vice President at the Republican convention washingtonpost.com (See also 2016 Election)|
|2016.07.28||Pence promises that Trump will overturn Roe V. Wade if elected. oregonlive.com (See also Abortion)|
|2016.09.08||Pence supports Trump's assessment that Vladimir Putin is a stronger leader than President Obama, calling the point "inarguable." cnn.com (See also Russia)|
|2016.10.04||In vice presidential debate, Pence repeatedly declines to defend controversial statements made by Trump, instead dodging or denying that Trump made the statements. npr.org (See also Assaults on Facts, 2016 Election)|
|2016.10.06||Pence refuses to give pardon to wrongly convicted man who DNA evidence proves was innocent, “out of respect for the justice system.” washingtonpost.com|
|2016.10.08||Pence cancels an appearance in Wisconsin and expresses dismay over Trump's "grab 'em by the pussy" comments. nbcnews.com (See also 2016 Election, Misogyny)|
|2016.11.11||Trump replaces New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie as leader of his transition team with Mike Pence. npr.org|
|2016.11.18||Congressman Elijah Cummings sends Mike Pence a letter warning him about Michael Flynn's lobbying work for the Turkish government. businessinsider.com (See also Michael Flynn, Presidential Transition)|
|2016.11.18||Pence is booed as he attends a performance of the musical, "Hamilton" theguardian.com |
After audience jeered vice-president elect at New York musical, actor addressed him from stage: ‘We are the diverse Americans anxious you will not protect us’
|2016.12.01||Pence and Trump speak at Carrier's Indianapolis plant. time.com (See also Carrier Corporation Jobs Deal)|
|2016.12.02||Pence says Trump's administration will immediately tackle aggressive healthcare, immigration, and tax reforms during First 100 Days. thehill.com (See also First 100 Days)|
|2016.12.04||Pence tries to defend Trump’s false claim that "millions" voted illegally. washingtonpost.com (See also False Statements, Assaults on Facts, 2016 Election)|
It's an awkward 3-minute exchange.
|2016.12.08||Planned Parenthood announces that 82,000 people have made donations in the Mike Pence's name, a virulent opponent of the organization. nymag.com (See also Planned Parenthood)|
|2016.12.15||The Boston globe lists 13 high ranking members of Trump's cabinet who are staunch opponents or who have fought against LGBT rights. bostonglobe.com (See also Homophobia, LGBTQIA, Presidential Transition, Ken Blackwell, Nikki Haley, Michael Flynn, Ben Carson, Jeff Sessions, Tom Price, Betsy DeVos)|
The individuals are, Mike Pence, Tony Perkins, Ken Blackwell, Kay Coles, Ken Klukowski, Ed Meese, Betsy DeVos, Tom Price, Jeff Sessions, Ben Carson, Michael Flynn, Nikki Haley and Mike Pompeo.
|2017.01.15||Face the Nation transcript Jan. 15, 2017: Pence denies interactions between Flynn and Russian Ambassador. cbsnews.com (See also Michael Flynn, Russia, Russian Meddling in Election)|
|2017.01.15||Priebus to Obama: "Step up" and quiet Democrats who question Trump’s legitimacy. washingtonpost.com (See also Reince Priebus, Racism)|
|2017.01.26||Longtime anti-abortion leader Pence will be first U.S. Vice President to speak at anti-abortion "March for Life." washingtonpost.com (See also Abortion, Women, Health Care)|
|2017.01.27||Pence addresses "March for Life" anti-abortion rally on the National Mall and pledges Trump administration's support in advancing their policies. wsj.com (See also First 100 Days, Abortion, Women, Health Care)|
|2017.01.28||Just over a year ago Mike Pence called Trump’s Muslim ban ‘offensive and unconstitutional.’ Yesterday he stood at Trump's side as he signed the order. washingtonpost.com (See also Muslim Immigration Ban, Immigration, Muslims)|
|2017.02.02||Mike Pence celebrates Black History Month by praising Abraham Lincoln instead of acknowledging the accomplishments of Black Americans. teenvogue.com (See also Black Americans)|
|2017.02.02||US president describes a world ‘in trouble’ in speech at the National Prayer Breakfast, amid a growing number of disputes with foreign leaders theguardian.com (See also First 100 Days, Muslim Immigration Ban, Australia, Mexico, Johnson Amendment, Attacks on Civil Liberties, LGBTQIA, Affordable Care Act, Department of the Treasury, Russia, Yemen, Iran)|
|2017.02.03||Vice President Mike Pence skips CNN during Sunday show circuit; CNN declines offer of Kellyanne Conway in his place. huffingtonpost.com (See also First 100 Days, Attempts to Discredit Media)|
|2017.02.05||Pelosi urges the FBI to probe Trump's finances and personal ties for evidence of possible Russian blackmail. politico.com (See also First 100 Days, Russian Meddling in Election, Russia)|
|2017.02.07||Mike Pence is forced to cast tie-breaking vote in senate to confirm Betsy DeVos as Education Secretary. nytimes.com (See also Betsy DeVos, Unprecedented Actions)|
|2017.02.10||The vice president defended the National Security Adviser in January when questions first surfaced about Flynn's contact with Russian ambassador. His aides say Pence was told Flynn didn't discuss sanctions. politico.com (See also First 100 Days, Michael Flynn, Russia)|
|2017.02.18||Pence tries to reassure concerned European leaders, while also warning they must spend more on NATO. nytimes.com (See also Nationalism, National Defense, Europe)|
|2017.02.23||Vice President Mike Pence defends Republican efforts to repeal the Affordable Care Act and tells CPAC attendees that "America’s Obamacare nightmare is about to end." washingtonpost.com (See also First 100 Days, Affordable Care Act)|
|2017.03.02||A public records request by the Indystar shows that Mike Pence routinely used a private email account to conduct public business as governor of Indiana, including at times discussing sensitive matters and homeland security issues. indystar.com|
|2017.03.02||Mike Pence is revealed to have used a personal email which was hacked while he was governor. indystar.com |
Vice President Mike Pence routinely used a private email account to conduct public business as governor of Indiana, at times discussing sensitive matters and homeland security issues.
|2017.03.09||Pence says U.S will, "use the full force of the law" to go after those involved in CIA wikileak leak. thehill.com (See also First 100 Days)|
Amy Sadler — Time
In an Ideas column for Time Sadler discusses the impact of Pence's efforts to deny legal gay marriages on her family when her wife was dying of ovarian cancer:
As a resident of Indiana for five years, I got to know Governor Mike Pence better than the average Indiana constituent. Now that he is about to be our next vice president, I want all Americans to know exactly how he treated my family when my wife, Niki, was dying of ovarian cancer. ...
When a federal trial court ordered Indiana to recognize our marriage on an emergency basis because of Niki’s declining health, Governor Pence immediately appealed. He wouldn’t allow the state to protect even one family with a dying parent—my family—while the court case made its way through the legal system.
After the Baskin plaintiffs won a sweeping victory, ordering the state of Indiana to recognize our marriages and give all same-sex couples the right to marry, Pence again appealed and the court put our victory on hold. Given Niki’s grave health, our lawyers asked the court to lift the stay on an emergency basis, just for our family. But even that wasn’t acceptable to Pence—a lawyer for the state filed papers in opposition.